The NLD 2nd Edition is sold out! But language learners do not fear, we are working hard on the New Lakota Dictionary 3rd Edition which will include revisions and additional entries. Stay tuned to our newsletter or social media pages for news regarding the NLD 3 release!
This 23,000-word Second Edition of the NLD provides a reliable, accurate, and user-friendly reference text and serves as a central component of the revitalization movement. It is an indispensable resource for advanced language users as well as beginning students of the language and has many innovative features including:
- Over 40,000 example sentences, usage notes, and collocations.
- A modern layout that makes it easy to find words and their usage.
- 3,160 more entries than the first edition of the NLD
- A standard orthography that adequately marks all meaningful sounds in the language
- All verb entries include conjugation paradigms; Special symbols that mark the 3,000 most important words
- Descriptions of word-stems and stem nests.
The volume forms the foundation for Lakota and Dakota languages and provides the basis upon which students, teachers, and community members can move forward with confidence in restoring the living language.