As the first shipment is mostly sold out, we will be shipping further copies at a later date (July 2023)
Lakota Stories is the first in a series of Lakota Language Reader projects that the Lakota team has undertaken. This first of its kind comprehensive reader and corresponding guide seeks to encourage and inspire the next generation of Lakota readers and storytellers.
This book contains:
- the stories collected by Ella Deloria in the late 1920’s adapted to contemporary language
- over 30 pages of detailed instructions on how to navigate and engage with this monolingual text
- over 170 pages of rich Lakota stories translated into a consistent phonemic orthography widely used today
- over 150 pages of end notes, and editorial explanations that show how Lakota language has changed over time
- a comprehensive glossary with 6,446 words used in the text
This edition is meant to foreground and accentuate the Lakota original and make it more accessible to the contemporary audience, such as Lakota language learners and educators. Whether you are a fluent speaker, beginner, or an intermediate language learner, this book is an excellent resource for reading Lakota text.
The first print is in very limited stock and will be shipped first come, first serve.
The second print will be available around July 2023.
*These stories belong to the Lakota people. They are in the public domain and are published for educational purposes.